Behold The Spiritual Experience

  By Brian Luke Seaward Several years ago, Oprah Winfrey asked her studio audience, “Who has had a spiritual experience?”. Over 80 percent of those questioned raised their hands. Oprah smiled and then declared quite confidently, that the other 20 percent were lying. She was on to something. Spiritual wonders span the spectrum of human…

What Do You Want?

by Celia Coates In this country we are in trouble with wanting. There are still too many people who are in want – they don’t have enough food, or safety, or health care, or the other basics of life in a rich country. Actually, they are in need. It’s more than want. Then there’s a…

Suiseki, Or Japanese Viewing Stones

By BJ Ledyard I fell in love with Suiseki at the Huntington Library, Gardens, and Museum.  After Christmas every year the local Viewing Stone Group, Aiseki Kai, had a show in the Entrance Pavilion.  The Huntington is our local venue for family visiting Los Angeles, but I visited even in the years we had no…

Facing Evil

by Celia Coates It is very hard, very, very troubling, to witness the violence of war and the suffering of other people. And when there seems to be no way for us to make a good difference, it becomes a terrible helplessness – the kind many people are feeling now as we watch a brutal…

    Print This Post

Peace Prayer

Lead me from death to life, from falsehood to truth, lead me from despair to hope, from fear to trust; lead me from hate to love, from war to peace. Let peace fill our hearts, our world, our universe. *     *     *     *     * This Peace Prayer is from the European School of Theosophy Published…

Reflections on Beauty and Creativity

By Brian Luke Seaward The best time of year to see the northern lights above the arctic circle is during the weeks around the Spring and Fall equinoxes. I was once told that the phenomenon has something to do with the position of the Earth’s axis and the geomagnetic storms of electrons coming from the…

Elmer’s Diagram

By Celia Coates and, The States of Consciousness Diagram by William Hale In her post, Meeting Elmer Green, Gilah wrote that presenting The Diagram was a fixed feature of an annual Conference. (www.winnpost.org/2022/01/07/meeting-elmer-green) What made that diagram so important? The simplest explanation is that it was (and is) a summation of Elmer’s life-long personal, spiritual…

The Spartans, The Stoics, and Harry Potter

by Celia Coates My mind was on a ramble the other day with my thoughts wandering from the question of what makes a good person, to what values are in fashion in this 21st Century, and then on to the story of the young Spartan who chose to die rather than face discovery. That’s a…

Meeting Elmer Green

By Gilah Yelin Hirsch I was thrilled and terrified when I arrived at my first Council Grove conference in 1982. I had been invited by the convenors of that year’s conference, Ed and Melinda Wortz, to show the evolution of my paintings as they reflected my psychological philosophy. I was prompted to venture further and…

What Is a Good King?

By Celia Coates Good King Wenceslas look’d out On the Feast of Stephen, When the snow lay round about, Deep and crisp and even: Brightly shone the moon that night, Tho’ the frost was cruel, When a poor man came in sight, Gath’ring winter fuel. Hither page, and stand by me, If thou know’st it,…

Inner Coherence: More Lessons from Jack

By Celia Coates Inner coherence is a phrase I first heard Jack Stucki use many years ago, and he mentioned it again last month as his quiet zone.  (www.winnpost.org/2021/11/05/elmer-electricity-and-thought-form-photography/ ) It has to do with a state of body-mind awareness that might be described as calm, cool, and collected. This kind of coherence is about a…